Members of the UBC community are recognized in the 2013 LifeSciences British Columbia Awards. LifeSciences B.C. is a not-for-profit industry association that supports and represents the greater life sciences community of British Columbia through leadership, advocacy and promotion of world-class science and industry.
· Dr. Joseph M. Connors, UBC Clinical Professor and Clinical Director of the B.C. Cancer Agency Centre for Lymphoid Cancer, will receive the Dr. Don Rix Award for Lifetime Achievement.
· Dr. B. Brett Finlay, UBC Peter Wall Distinguished Professor, Michael Smith Laboratories and the Departments of Microbiology and Biochemistry, UBC, will receive the Genome British Columbia Award for Scientific Excellence.
· Dr. Richard Harrigan, UBC Associate Professor, Director, Laboratory Program, British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS will receive the Innovation and Achievement Award.
· Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc., a UBC spin-off company founded on discoveries made by Dr. Michael Hayden, will receive the Life Sciences Company of the Year award.
· Zymeworks Inc., founded by UBC PhD alumnus Ali Tehrani, will receive the Emerging Life Sciences Company of the Year award.
The awards will be presented at the Faces of Innovation gala on April 4, a celebration of 15 years of the LifeSciences British Columbia Awards recognizing leaders in the community who have transformed the life sciences sector.